Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Handmade Embellishments

Hi everyone!

Yesterday morning I posted a picture on Twitter of some handmade clay embellishments that I was making and I couldn't believe all the sweet comments I got about them.  I got a lot of questions about how to create them and supplies, so I thought I'd just do a little blog post.

A couple weeks ago I bought a few molds on Etsy with plans to make some of my own embellishments and yesterday I finally got to play.  The molds I bought are from Mold Muse and here are some of the embellishments I made...

The chrysanthemum is my favorite!  I've got so many ideas in my head of things I could do with these from jewelry to home decor...and of course I'm going to have to put them on some cards! :)


And then I remembered I had some Sculpey MoldMaker that I have used to make some buttons in the past, so I made a few of my own molds. I just used random buttons, beads and brads that I had lying around.  It's a little tricky to get a good impression and I think I need to practice a bit, but here are some of the mold I made...


And these are some of the embellishments from my handmade molds...

The molds that I purchased were much easier to use, but I love that these are so unique and cannot be found anywhere else. They are far from perfect, but so fun! :)

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a wonderful day!

29 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

SO AWESOME!! Oh Kelly, this rocks my world - love it so very much!! You are so incredibly creative - I didn't even know these molds existed before yesterday!!

Sarah J Moerman said...

Wow! These are AWESOME, Kelly! I think you should start a business. ;)

leslie (crookedstamper) said...

WOW! Now I NEED these molds! ACK! Thank you, Libby. Thank you very much ...

Tara said...

ACK!!! LOVE!!! You need to sell these on etsy!

Kathy (krolski) said...

So cool! Love these! Can't wait to see the projects you use them on!

Isha Gupta said...

These are Gorgeous. Would love to see them on cards. TFS.

Jane said...

I say we join forces!!!!!!!! :)
This post makes me excited!!!!

Lin said...

Oh, Kelly, these are luscious! I ADORE your results!!

Joy said...

Awesome my friend, I am so pleased that you showed your gorgeous creations...cannot wait to see them on a card

Unknown said...

Kelly these are STUNNING!!! What kind of clay is it? It's so shiny!!! I love these. I would love to make some for my girls headbands. do you bake it?

ivy said...

these are perfectly perfect kelly! love them! you need to set up shop.....

Lysa said...

Those are absolutely awesome Kelly! ♥ them!

Sharon D from Canada said...

These are SUPER cute, Kelly!!! And I love that they're not too thick, either! You chose such pretty colours, too - can't wait to see what you do with these little beauties!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Wow! So fun Kelly! You could really make a business out of this if you wanted! They would sell quick! Love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Wowsers Kelly, these are so stunning! I love them all! What a great idea to make your own moulds too, for unique embellies ;)
Ruth S

Virginia L. said...

Love the unique looks and gorgeous colors!! I would LOVE to see them on your cards!! That would be so AWESOME!

Sanne said...

WOW! You rock Kelly! I´m sure you would be able to sell them - beautiful art!

Ashley M said...

Those colors are amazing! Thanks for the tip on the Etsy shop too. What size chrysanthemum did you get? They seem like the perfect size?

mschiddy said...

Wow! These are great! They really do look like fun to make. I'm going to have to find some of that Sculpey Mold Making Magic!

donna mikasa said...

I saw these molds on Betsy Veldman's blog and bought some but haven't created anything yet....They look so cool!! Thanks for sharing!

Sue McRae said...

Wow I love these homemade embellishments. They will look amazing on cards!

CalleLillyCafe said...

Love Love Love. REALLY!!!!

Sandy said...

No perfect you say, pshaw!!! They are handmade!!!!!!! They are absolutely gorgeous and I love that they are so unique! The perfect touch on a handmade card:)

Kelly Booth said...

WOW.....you should sell these....soooooo PRETTY
Kelly. Just Love them.

Debbie said...

What type of finish do you put on them? They look so professionally done. Thanks for sharing!

Anita Rex said...

Okay Kelly how did I miss this post? I bought some like these in bright colors from Michael's and can't find any more and really really like them! So now I am so going to be buying these!!! Did you paint them with something after you cooked it??

jintyoo7 said...

OH!!!!! Oh!!!!!! These are so beautiful. PLease sell your secret or at least the ones you make - LOL

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

They are so cute! I just found you on Pinterest. What do you use to make them so shiny?

Unknown said...

These are so cute!!